October 30, 2012

Oh Sandy...

In the path of Hurricane Sandy, lies one of my favourite places and possibly the most influential city in the world- New York!

Having been there almost 4 months ago at the peak of Summer, when I saw this image of an empty Times Square, an eerie feeling came over me. Even on the coldest or hottest of days, there's no stopping the hustle and bustle of this iconic intersection, and although the screens still shine bright, the streets remain empty, just like a scene from a Hollywood blockbuster.

I have been in contact with friends who live in the city and am glad to hear they're doing well and are participating in a little 'citizen journalism'. While they film the wild weather as it sits on the fringes of Manhattan and then upload it onto social media, I believe this is one of the instances when online mediums such as Facebook and YouTube prove invaluable in capturing up to date footage and information from any corner of the globe.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who live in New York and it's surrounding boroughs as they sit tight and wait for the storm to pass. My love goes out to my friends who call the city home- may they stay safe and one day be able to reminisce and share this experience with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment