October 19, 2012

THE Fashion House...

Chanel Hit
Victoria Beckham recently tweeted an exclusive photo of her upcoming shoot with Karl Lagerfeld for French Elle magazine, on the stairs of Coco Chanel's apartment, 31 Rue Cambon in Paris.

I think this spread is going to be nothing short of fierce, especially if it's shot entirely in black and white.

Victoria Beckham has proven herself as a serious fashion designer and favourite for editorial covers, so decked out in some of Largerfeld's latest creations, I think it's going to be pretty spectacular.
 

Chanel Miss
Has anyone seen Brad Pitt's recent ad campaign for Chanel?
If you haven't you're not missing out on much, because it has to be one of the most disconnected and random celebrity endorsements in history. Click on the clip below and form your own opinion, before I share mine...


With lines like "it's not a journey, every journey ends...but we go on" and "the world turns and we turn with it, and plans disappear, dreams take over... but wherever I go, there you are, my luck, my fate, my fortune", I was lost until the very end when the words "Chanel No.5...Inevitable" were uttered.

What I find more bizaar though, is how on earth Chanel thought that those 35 seconds and surely less than half a days work, was worth a reported $7.2million direct into Pitt's bank account? Maybe quick and easy money was enough of a motivation for him to sign up to the project and in turn subject himself to criticism?!

Here's what Pitt had to say about the idea behind the campaign:

'The beauty of its success for all these years is both elegantly simple and complex at the same time. That’s what I see being the appeal of this campaign ; it goes beyond the abstract of emotion or beauty to evoke what is timeless, a woman’s spirit,'
If Chanel were looking to get their brand in the headlines, then introducing their first male endorser has certainly done the trick. I would bank my life on the fact that since the commercials release, No.5 sales have gone through the roof, in the same way it did when Marilyn Monroe claimed "it's all I wear in bed".

Regardless of how corny yet random this ad campaign may be, Chanel No.5 is still the most iconic fragrance for women and after 91 years on the shelves, it has not only withstood the test of time, but will no doubt continue to do so.


Chanel Classic
Who remembers the mini-movie Nicole Kidman stared in for Chanel back in 2004? Costing more than some full length feature films, the 2 minute ad campaign was directed by Baz Luhrmann and ran for an estimated $42million, with Nicole reported to take home around 12million to star in the extravagant ad campaign.

To me, what sets Kidman's performance apart from Pitt's, is that she actually acted in it. It was romantic, there was a storyline and it was captivating. Had it been a trailer for one of Luhrmann's new films, I would have definitely bought a ticket in opening week.



I have a friend who works in Chanel's New York office and when I was recently there, we discussed the brand in depth. He said that Chanel's goal is to sell a lifestyle, a dream and an experience. Not everyone can afford to spend $10k on a dress or $7k on a bag, so their campaigns are designed to allow people to see the fantasy, without having to buy into it.


Chanel is by far my favourite designer brand and as previously talked about here, I long for the day when I purchase my own quilted purse. It will be an experience. It will be a dream. And although I may not live the lifestyle of a regular Chanel shopper, I will certainly feel different every time I leave home with it hanging pretty on my shoulder.



No comments:

Post a Comment